Kicking it in Kraków



Cobbled squares, green zones, and seemingly endless cultural and historic sites, Kraków is definitely up there as a place you should visit. 







𝘊𝘻𝘦ść! 𝘏𝘦𝘭𝘭𝘰!



Back in 2018, I was lucky enough to spend my 19th birthday in the charming city of Kraków.

Now when I was first told I would be jetting off to Poland for my December birthday, I was a little disappointed to be going somewhere that was even colder than England. Winter babies you know what I mean… I wanted sun, sea, and sand! However, in the few days I was there, I absolutely fell in love!

Soo I’m going to share with you my Top 5 Favourite Things To Do whilst visiting Kraków.



Number 1 : Wieliczka Salt Mine


If someone said the words “salt mine” to you, the first thing to come to mind is probably not all that exciting, BUT I want you to drop this assumption and trust me when I say, this was one of the most beautiful places I’ve seen.





I suppose one way to describe it is exactly like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory right down to the part where you are encouraged to lick the walls! Except of course you swap the chocolate and sweets for salt…yum yum. 


Since I’m a student, I managed to get a ticket for 84zł (roughly £17) and off I went on my guided tour, lasting around 2 hours with an overall descent of 135m, which meant A LOT of stairs. Now if you’re unfit or just lazy like me, this can be off-putting but honestly, it was so worth it. As you make your way down the three main levels, you come across an abundance of salt statues, stories, and scale models, each depicting a different part of the rich history of the mines.




Now for me, the highlight of this tour was undeniably the Kaplica Św Kingi or Chapel of St Kinga for those who don’t speak Polish. As the name suggests, it IS a chapel. However, it’s not just any chapel. Oh no…like everything else in the mine, it is still made ENTIRELY out of salt, from the giant chandeliers to the accurate portrayal of The Last Super... Impressive right?  




There was also a small gift shop and restaurant on the lowest level of the mine, and since I celebrated my actual birthday here, I was bought a little cake and a not so little salt lamp to commemorate the visit.  



 













Number 2: Auschwitz and Birkenau


Another place not to be missed on your trip to Kraków would have to be the Auschwitz and Birkenau concentration camps. While this is a must-see historical site be warned, it will be such an emotional day. For me, it was both a disturbing and humbling experience and even though I had always wanted to visit these sites, nothing could’ve prepared me for experiencing it first-hand. 





Since I visited in December, the weather was around -6. Despite being bundled up in thick clothing, a 3-layer coat and warm boots, I still felt the intensity of the cold; so, it’s impossible to even imagine how the people felt.

It snowed throughout my trip and while it was beautiful to see in the Old town of Kraków, the snowy landscape just further added to the sombre atmosphere which hangs over both camps.



 

The full tour of both places probably lasted around 4 hours with a break in between the 2 camps to eat. The guide was very informative and so respectful when thoroughly describing the atrocities that were committed here. One phrase he shared is something that stuck with me “This place should never have existed, but since it did, it should never be forgotten.”








Number 3: St Mary’s Basilica
Another historical gem for you all is the St Mary’s Basilica. This beautiful gothic church eerily looms over you when walking through the main square of Kraków. And as it is in the main square, there is no excuse not to explore the inside!

Every hour on the hour, a trumpeter appears on the basilica’s tallest tower and his song echoes throughout the square. If you take part in one of the walking tours, you get to hear the story of the trumpeter and the reason why his song ends so abruptly. 








There is a small entry fee which contributes to the upkeep of the church, but it’s worth paying to see the stunning architecture within. Inside the church, colours fly across the floor and walls through the many stained-glass windows, countless ornate decorations adorn the walls, and above you an astonishing starred ceiling appears. It’s one of the best places to just wander around and soak up a serene ambience.  


 















Number 4: Galeria Kazimierz Shopping Plaza


Okay, okay. Enough history. The Galeria Kazimierz is perfect for shopaholics. It’s super modern and quite similar to malls at home like Eldon square or the Trafford centre. As it was the Christmas period, it was extravagantly decorated and contained quite a few high-end brands where, surprisingly, you can find some great bargains, as well as a generous food court, with many cafés. 







I stopped by the Segafredo Zanetti where the staff were really friendly, and the drinks and cakes were delicious. 


 
























Number 5: Christmas Markets
If you do visit in winter, you are not just limited to the mainstream malls. Once again back in the main square, you will find rows of stalls ranging from giant bread rolls to wacky jewellery. The markets are wonderfully decorated with twinkling lights everywhere. It really gives off a very traditional feel unlike the markets you find in the UK and it’s not hard to spend your time gazing at all the things they have to offer. 








For a truly delicious and authentic Polish food experience, stop by the pierogi stall or any pierogi restaurant you can find. These small dumplings are so filling and come in so many different flavours all of which were amazing! I must admit, I went back quite a few times and was tempted to eat my weight in them!
 





On the topic of food, while its not in the market specifically, do try some of the authentic restaurants. I was a bit sceptical of the food choices at first but ended up having the best meals and would totally move to Poland just for their foods!


Zapiekanka
Gorgeous pork tenderloins with Polish cheese,
dumplings and bacon



















Well there you have it! Now I have only mentioned 5 things but there is genuinely so much more to do with castles to be explored, gardens to be walked and legends to be heard. 
If you’ve been to Kraków before, what was your favourite thing about the city?

𝒰𝓃𝓉𝒾𝓁 𝒩𝑒𝓍𝓉 𝒯𝒾𝓂𝑒,
B x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome!